SOUTH AUSTRALIAN YOUTH HOMELESSNESS FIGURES SHAME TURNBULL GOVERNMENT

13 Oct 2016

South Australian youth homelessness data reveals that more than 3,200 children under the age of nine sought emergency help for homelessness last year, while around 5,500 children under the age of 18 were provided shelter by a homeless agency in the same period.

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN YOUTH HOMELESSNESS FIGURES SHAME TURNBULL GOVERNMENT

South Australian youth homelessness data reveals that more than 3,200 children under the age of nine sought emergency help for homelessness last year, while around 5,500 children under the age of 18 were provided shelter by a homeless agency in the same period.

“The Turnbull Government’s inaction is making this crisis worse. In an advanced, prosperous country, there is no reason that we cannot give everyone decent shelter,” said Senator Cameron.

“Homelessness advocates and service providers are calling for the Turnbull Government to fund the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness (NPAH) and to continue to fund the Reconnect youth homelessness service.

“Today, South Australia’s Youth Homelessness Strategic Group again asked the Turnbull Government to fund NPAH.

“It’s beyond time for the Turnbull Government to take action on this, but they are so divided, so hopelessly distracted by their own divisions that there is no one on watch in this portfolio.

“There is no Housing and Homelessness Minister in the Turnbull Government, and they have cut funding for capital spending on crisis accommodation for women and children fleeing domestic violence by $44m,” said Senator Cameron.

The Turnbull Government, despite repeated calls from Labor and the homelessness sector, has so far refused to fund a new NPAH agreement beyond June 2017. The services funded by NPAH are threatened by this lack of funding certainty.

THURSDAY, 13 OCTOBER 2016